Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Magnuson Race Series #3 Race Recap

Another 10K, another PR. Though I almost didn't go to the race at all. The morning of, I woke up with gnarly stomach issues. The kinds of stomach issues that are really not good to run through. But as the morning went on I started to feel a little better..and decided I'd at least use the race as a chance to get in my long run. I didn't have to race, I didn't have to PR, I just had to run 6.2 miles.

Once the race got going, though, I started to feel ok. I ran with a group of 5K racers for the first half, who were all running a 7:30 pace. I felt ok hanging with them, and knew that if I came through the 5K mark at 23:00, all I'd have to do to PR was keep running the same pace. I came through at 23:14 but picked the pace up a bit to catch a few folks in front of me..once I passed them in about 800m and then ran the rest of the race alone. Not fun! Especially since, for the rest of the race I kind ofthought I was winning the 10K race. Not a soul was in sight in front of me, and I'd already passed everyone nearby.. it wasn't until the last .25mi that I realized there was another woman in front of me (there were two, actually, but I only ever saw the one)! But it's ok--I can't control who I'm competing against in any race, so my goal is never to win, just to run a certain time. Which I did, so no complaints here! I came in at 45:03, the 3rd female finisher and 6th overall. I'm really excited to break 45:00 next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment