Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Work Food

I know I'm not alone when I express my difficulty finding healthy, transportable foods to take to work. A girl can only eat so many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And I've done my best to put a dent in that 10lb. bag of raw almonds I got at Costco two months ago, really I have. But if I have to snack on one more almond...well I don't know what would happen. I might develop an allergy. Or an aversion, at best. Who know? I don't, and I don't want to find out. I also don't want one more bloody almond.

I'll happily have one more ginger molasses cookie from the coffee shop, but I am running out of justification for the cost and caloric intake.

And so here I am..vegetable-less, cookie-less, and drowning in almonds. it's a pretty sad state to be in. For me and everyone else looking for better lunch options, here's a brief list of easy, healthy lunch ideas, and some uber-healthy snack options as well.

-Veggie Wrap: Whole wheat tortilla, smeared with mustard or hummus, filled with shredded carrot, cucumber, tomato, lettuce, jicama, onion, and any other veggies you like!

-Pizza: Either leftover or homemade, pizza loaded with veggies and tomato sauce is a great lunch option. Wrapped in foil it transports easily.

-Stew: Made with low sodium veggie broth and any vegetables you like. Add beans and/or tofu for protein.

-Sandwich: Whole wheat bread, cheese, mustard and veggies. the variations are endless, and really, can one ever get sick of veggie sandwiches??

-Burrito: Veggie wrap with beans, rice and cheese. Mexi-Goodness.

-Leftovers: They can be tricky to transport, depending on what dinner was, but sometimes leftovers make for a healthy, quick, delicious and cheap lunch.

Snacks:
-cherry tomatoes
-carrot sticks
-jicama (my favorite!)
-celery, snap peas, radishes (ok, these are my favorite!)
-bell pepper
-grapes
-berries
-cut-up fruits such as oranges and melon
-dried fruit
-baked veggie chips
-Giant Ginger Molasses Cookie (because we all deserve one now and then!)

No comments:

Post a Comment