Thursday, November 11, 2010

Seitan

I haven't been baking or cooking very much lately! In fact, the wet burritos I made last night are about as adventurous as I've been in the kitchen for over a week! But I did want to write about a recipe I attempted awhile ago: Seitan!

The seitan recipe I found over at (neverhome)maker. I'd wanted to try it for awhile, so one day I just dove right in! Here's my recipe, as I made a few slight modifications.

Seitan

Ingredients:
1 1/2c wheat gluten flour
1/4c nutritional yeast
1tsp salt
2tsp paprika
2 tsp pepper
2 heaping spoonfuls minced garlic
3/4c cold water (PLUS about 3 tbsp)
4tsp tomato paste
1tsp olive oil
1tsp soy sauce
2 tsp vegetable broth

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients (including garlic) in a large bowl. Whisk together until well-combined. In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients--EXCEPT the 3 tbsp water--whisking in the tomato paste last. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, and combine well with your hands. If your seitan seems too dry, as mine did, add water from your 3 tbsp reserve until all of the dry ingredients are mixed in. The seitan becomes very gummy very quickly, and adding the extra water allowed me to keep mixing the seitan.

Roll the seitan into a log shape. Wrap in two layers of foil, twisting the ends to seal the roll, and bake on a baking sheet for 1.5 hours.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment